Friday, June 21, 2013

The Fourth Stall

Wow!  What a busy week it has been!  I was so lucky to be able to spend a week learning about teaching writing with Christopher Lehman from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project.  It's awesome that my school district is able to bring amazing folks like him to "teach the teachers".  I have so many new ideas to try out in my classroom in the fall.  I was also able to dash up to Michigan last weekend and see little miss Eloise.  She is growing up so fast!

I have been reading lots during this busy time...I've read a few young adult books and adult books.  But I do have one book that will be perfect for fifth graders...The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander.  Quite a few kiddos in my class read this one during the school year.  I can definitely see why they liked it so much and went on to read the next two books in the series!

The Fourth Stall

Mac and his best friend Vince run a "business" out of the fourth stall of an abandoned bathroom in their school.  Kids young and old come to Mac for help and advice...even the custodian came to him for help once!  Sometimes they need help dealing with siblings or parents.  Sometimes they need help dealing with a bully.  And he helps them solve their problems.  Mac is a good kid.  But somehow he has gotten on the bad side of the neighborhood bully, Staples.  And now Mac thinks that someone he is close to is spying on him and also working for Staples.  

I especially liked that Mac and Vince were working hard and saving money for the ultimate trip...tickets to see the Cubs play in the World Series.  As a life-long Cubs fan myself, I would TOTALLY love to do this.  But the Cubs haven't been anywhere near the World Series in over 100 years...the longest drought in Major League history!  In the book, the Cubs are close...they are in the playoffs.  But you'll have to read it to see if they finally make it to the ultimate game!

Let me know if you've read this book or leave a comment about your own summer reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment