Monday, July 29, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

I'm joining Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers in sharing my reading this week.  Head on over to their blogs to see what others are reading and link up your own post!

I have had an awesome last couple weeks of reading!  I was on such a reading high after The Real Boy and Wake Up Missing that I actually had a hard time deciding what to read next.  I bounced around a little bit before getting back into my groove.  Here are the books I have read and enjoyed the last two weeks!

Middle Grade Books

The Real Boy by Anne Ursu (review here)

The Real Boy


Wake Up Missing by Kate Messner 

Wake Up Missing
I loved this book...as I do everything Kate Messner has written.  I wrote a review, but I am going to post it closer to the release date in September.  I was lucky enough to borrow an ARC of the two books above, but that is usually not the case.  I always get frustrated reading about books that I can't get my hands on yet!  (But I was so excited about The Real Boy that I posted that one already!)

This Journal Belongs to Ratchet by Nancy J. Cavanaugh (review here)

 This Journal Belongs to Ratchet 

Bomb by Steve Sheinkin (review here)


Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon



Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library

I am going to review this one on Wednesday.  I think I have decided to use it as my first read aloud of the year!

Picture Book

The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman

The Matchbox Diary

This book will be fantastic to share with my fifth graders when we think about writing memoir.  A great-grandfather uses small items in a memory box to tell his granddaughter stories about his life.  I don't teach an immigration unit, but it would be great for that as well.

Adult Book

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)

I am not a big fan of murder mysteries...but learning that J.K. Rowling  had a new book out?  I had to read it!  I was actually on Twitter when this news came out...I quick clicked over to my Worthington Library App and requested it.  I was number 4 on the list...and when I picked it up this week, there were over 1,000 requests for it!  I was actually very proud of myself for my quick thinking.  This was a FANTASTIC book!  I am looking forward to the next book starring Cormoran Strike!






8 comments:

  1. Our little library has 41 holds on The Cuckoo's Calling! I couldn't get into A Casual Vacancy, but I am going to give this one a try. It got good reviews before Rowling was associated with it, so I am hopeful that I will enjoy it. One of these days will I will get to Bomb. http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Bk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read A Casual Vacancy either, but this one is really great!

      Delete
  2. I, too, loved all of Messner's work, and can't wait to see the newest one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library looks really cute! I need to read The Real Boy soon as well, looks so good!

    Enjoy your books!

    Here's what we read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Mr. Lemoncello's Library! Tell me what the trick is to getting ARCs? So many people are already reading The Real Boy and I can't believe I have to wait until the end of September!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed everything I've read by Kate Messner, so I'm really looking forward to Wake Up Missing. Many people have been talking about Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library, so I guess I'll have to add it to my list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when you decide your first read aloud? I have heard many good things about this title. It's on my TBR list. I can't wait to read The Real Boy. I read Breadcrumbs to my own children and we all loved the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Want to read ALL of the middle grade books that you talked about! I have some to read soon and others I need to get my hands on.

    Happy reading this week :)
    Kellee

    ReplyDelete