Monday, July 8, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

I'm joining Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers in sharing my reading this week.  Head on over to their blogs to see what others are reading and link up your own post!

My list this week doesn't show a lot of Middle Grade books that I can recommend to my class, but I can say that I definitely enjoyed every book I read this week!  I NEED to get back to reading the books I brought home from my classroom, but I am so easily sucked in to reading YA and all the adult books that I requested long ago from the library.  But, that's what summer reading is all about...living your reading life how YOU want to live it.  I hope my students are doing the same...

Picture Books

Open This Little Book by Jesse Klausmeier
I'm definitely going to have to pick this book up for my niece Eloise!  I loved the book within a book within a book format.  
Open This Little Book


Middle Grade Books

Timmy Failure by Stephen Pastis (reviewed last week)

Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made

Young Adult Books

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
I really enjoyed this one, but it's not particularly appropriate for my fifth grade class.  Great story of a girl who gets rid of technology for a few weeks and teaches herself a lot about who she really is.
Going Vintage

Pivot Point by Kasie West
Loved this book about a girl who can see the future when she is faced with an important decision.  She gets to live out both choices and then make the one she deems best for her and those around her.  Can't wait for the next in this series!
Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

Adult Books

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
Another epic novel that spans almost 40 years.  I loved this story of friends who met at camp at age 15 and how their lives played out afterwards.  Highly recommended!
The Interestings



Books I Checked Out At The Library For This Week:

I REALLY need to get back to my Middle Grade reading...I've got a few here, but also more YA!

The Thing About Luck by Cynthia Kadohata
BOMB by Steve Sheinkin (I've checked this out multiple times, hoping to finally read it!)
My Name is Parvana by Deborah Ellis
This Journal Belongs to Ratchet by Nancy J. Cavanaugh
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

I'd love to hear what you are reading this summer!

5 comments:

  1. I need to read Timmy Failure. Is it a must-have for our first order of the 2013-2014 year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timmy Failure is PERFECT for 4th-6th graders. I think they will love it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, you will love "My Name is Parvana" and will want to read the whole Breadwinner series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the others, actually used them as read alouds in 5th grade. I kept forgetting there was a 4th book out until I saw it at the library!

      Delete
  3. Oh, oh! Read Aristotle and Dante first. It is quite good. :) I loved the cover of Going Vintage. It looks very fun.

    Happy reading this week!
    Ricki (www.unleashingbooks.com)

    ReplyDelete