Thursday, May 23, 2013

5th Grade Must-Reads

During this school year, we read and discussed SO MANY awesome books...from The One And Only Ivan (my all-time fave) to Wonder to Breadcrumbs to Liar and Spy. Besides read alouds, our class read HUNDREDS of books. Here are some you may have missed, recommended by your classmates! Go check them out at the library...Go on, go now! And if you don't have a library card...get one ASAP! You're going to need it!

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm
One for the Murphy's by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford
The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
Bigger Than a Breadbox by Laurel Snyder
Mal and Chad by Stephen McCranie
The Sisters Grimm Series by Michael Buckley
Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki
The Sister's Club by Megan McDonald
The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket
Pokemon Adventures by Hidenori Kusaka
Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
Magyk by Angie Sage
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards
Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

Whew! What a list! Please comment and let me know what you are reading!

14 comments:

  1. Mrs. Williams - I just finished reading Milkweed. I'm so glad some of your students recommended it! It was a great book about a little boy growing up in Poland during WWII. It made me think how difficult it was for Jews during the war. Please continue to recommend books for me to read! - Mrs. Addington :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Milkweed. I liked it, but it was very sad. I am looking forward to hearing what else you read this summer!

      Delete
  2. I loved the book turtle in paradise it was soooo interesting and at he end something happened that I would have never guessed but it was so amazing I would recommend it to anyone at any time any place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved Turtle in Paradise! The author has more historical fiction too...Our Only May Amelia is really good!

      Delete
  3. i am critigeing the lighting theif grafic novel. the people did ok at the begining but then i think the people got la-z and because they left out alotttttt of cluse to who stole the master bolt so my recomendation is read the real book first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graphic novels are always interesting when they are based on longer books..there is a lot of editing that goes into it, just like movies. I agree with you, always try the book too! I think The Red Pyramid has a new graphic novel out. Dd you read that book?

      Delete
  4. right now i am reading tunels it is ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know what you think when you finish! That book is the first in a series.

      Delete
  5. I read the book The last of the really great whangdoodles well Mrs. Rogers read it out loud. I really enjoyed reading this. It was a really fun and interesting book!!!!!! I would totally recommend this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaseana, this book is on my summer to-read list! I think I read it when I was a kid, but I don't remember it. So many of you told me about listening to this book in 4th grade. I'll be sure to post when I read it!

      Delete
    2. jaseana I also loved the last of the really great wangdoodles mrs.ayers read it out loud to us it was really good but I tink I might re read it just to get the plot line and all the charecters right anyone who has already read it shuld just read it again because it was a bit hard to remember some of the main parts of the book and for me it would just help pluse I love the book

      Delete
    3. mrs.williams have you ever read when you reach me iv heard it is really good but I just wanted to know if you liked it at all also if anyone else has read it tell me if you liked it or not

      Delete
    4. I really liked When You Reach Me...you know it is written by Rebecca Stead, the author of Liar and Spy. Just like Liar and Spy, you have to pay close attention to the clues she plants throughout the book, it definitely has a surprise ending!

      Delete
  6. I would definitely recommend The lions of little rock especially if you like historical fiction. It was a great book!!!! And if I had a read again list this book would be at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete